Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Thought to Ponder



"Millennial's - a generation that may change the world as we know it?"

Okay, that may be a bit extreme and perhaps sounds a bit bias considering I am included in this group of individuals, but I think it goes without saying that there is a curiosity (from all ages) about how life, business, and our cultural structure will change as Millennials grow older and become society's leaders. 

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a women I currently work with on this very subject, which actually inspired me to write this little tid bit :) . This woman was in her early 40s, had a substantial amount of experience in the corporate environment, and had a lot of questions about folks my age. She had already recognized that many "folks my age" don't just want to go to work, but rather we want to work for something. In other words, she was essentially saying that in order to keep the younger generation engaged and satisfied at work there needs be some purpose or greater good in the things that we do everyday in order to make those things worth doing

I completely agree. 

Take a moment and think of how many companies have incorporated a "socially responsible" aspect into their business model, or how common it has become for employees to volunteer during works. If Millennial's are even partially responsible for this transition in the workplace, imagine what the corporate culture will be like in 20+ years...

I'm not saying that corporations will all look and feel like Google in the future, and I'm also not saying that today's business leaders are not socially responsible. What I am saying is that there is a growing vision and desire for a future that looks a little bit different than what it does today. Change can obviously be a scary thing, but if change simply means bringing additional purpose and meaning to the things we do everyday, then by all means... bring it on!

Another source of inspiration for this post
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682348/millennials-genuinely-think-they-can-change-the-world-and-their-communities ]

No comments:

Post a Comment